Jpeg or RAW ( & Why) June 2013

Started Jun 8, 2013 | Photos thread
GeorgianBay1939
GeorgianBay1939 Veteran Member • Posts: 4,044
Re: GH2 Live Histogram Characteristics

Detail Man wrote:

GeorgianBay1939 wrote:

Yes, I HAVE discovered the tremendous help from many of the contributors to this forum. And I agree with the sentiment expressed in your last sentence. I guess that it's important to keep our BS detectors well tuned to filter out the noise and nonsense!

Thank you for confirming some of the technical approaches that I've learned recently.
... and the heads-up re Cambridge in Colour.

Ditto for the web-pages at the "Luminous Landscape" site.

Here is a GH2 OOC JPG shot with the Live Histogram adjusted almost exactly at maximum reading:

Here is the PaintShop Pro X4 RGBL Histogram of the JPG displayed above (very slight clipping):

Here is the RawDigger RAW Histogram of the simultaneously recorded RW2 (very slight clipping):

Note that the Live Histogram is mostly a Green (JPG) channel indicator, with a smaller amount of Red channel, and almost no Blue channel info. The relative (RGB) weighting factors are estimated here:

http://www.dpreview.com/forums/post/50872670

... and (for sRGB) are: Red=0.176169, Green=1.000000, Blue=0.043308

DM ...

Hi DM,

Thanks.

I must confess that I've not been able to get the UniWB for my GH2.   For two reasons:

1   I've been very busy with lots of stuff filling my waking hours .... including a bit of photography out on the Bay: http://www.dpreview.com/galleries/796805747/albums/20130612-wildflowers-georgian-bay

and

2  I still cannot understand your ample instructions!!!!  I think that I am starting to lose my cognitive functions.  The old grey matter ain't what it used to be.  So I am going to let the topic rest for a while and return to it a bit later.  In the meantime I will continue to ETTR to get some more experience with the foibles of the GH2.  (You'll also notice some imagery taken with a new GX1 in the above ... another bite out of the grandkids' inheritance.)

Best,

Tom

GeorgianBay1939's gear list:GeorgianBay1939's gear list
Panasonic FZ1000 Panasonic Lumix DMC-GH2 Panasonic Lumix DMC-GX7 Panasonic Lumix DMC-GH4 Panasonic Lumix G Vario 7-14mm F4 ASPH +10 more
Post (hide subjects) Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow