New NEX owner - Sony NEX-F3

Started Jun 13, 2013 | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
RyoHazuki224
RyoHazuki224 New Member • Posts: 8
New NEX owner - Sony NEX-F3

Hey all! I'm new here, and a new owner of an NEX-F3!

I know, it's the older model, but after looking at comparison's between this and the new 3n model, I felt that the F3 had a few better features (mainly their hot-shoe, I plan on getting the better microphone for it for when I take video), and plus I found a good deal on Amazon for it that was bundled with a "starter kit" worth of extras.

Now, some of those extras turned out... well, not so good (two 52mm Zeikos add-on lenses, with no step-down ring adapter. I had to buy one, it's in the mail so I've yet to test these lenses). Some were good though, got a nice tripod with it, a decent carry case, set of filters, and of course an original Sony zoom lens for it.

Now, I will say that while I've always been interested in more advanced photography, I've never had a chance to explore that area until now. All my past cameras has been basic point-and-shoot digital cameras, and of course before that, cheap rinky-dink film cameras.

I have to say that so far I've been having a lot of fun with the NEX! I've been doing some quick reading up about features, and I do have a basic understanding of how aperture and shutter speed works. I just really now need the practice to really know what setting works best in different situations. I'm trying to stay away from the intelligent auto modes unless I just want to take a quick snap of something.

So, does anybody have any beginners tips that I should try out? Like, I have some lens filters that came with the bundle, what really would be the best situations to use these in and why? I live in the New Mexico desert, so I'm guessing the UV filter would come in handy on bright days?

Anything other cool tips or tricks that I can try out would be much appreciated! I look forward to learning some amazing things in this promising community!

RyoHazuki224's gear list:RyoHazuki224's gear list
Sony a6300
Sony Alpha NEX-F3
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow