Started Jun 11, 2013 | Discussions thread
Rexgig0 Veteran Member • Posts: 4,625
Licensing means another level of govt. bureaucracy.

Well, a professional photographer in my area needs a permit from the state to collect "sales and use" tax, as even image files sent by e-mail are considered taxable merchandise. Unless doing business as one's full, legal given name, with no added words, one must file a "DBA" with the county. Municipalities may have further requirements, and if one works from home, and does not live in an area zoned for business, that can be an additional complication. Even so, this does not prevent consumer-level photographers from committing tax fraud on the federal, state, and local levels, and violating local ordinances, to conduct their photography business, and this is before we get into the skill level issues.

One problem with licensing photographers, in particular, is that a branch of a bureaucracy must be created to administer and enforce the licensing program. That costs money, which must be collected via fees or taxes.

If one wishes to get the legal beagles sniffing the trail of want-to-be photographers, the state and local taxing authorities might be a place to start. Gangster Al Capone was reined-in by tax laws!

-- hide signature --

I wear a badge and pistol, and, primarily with 7D cameras, shoot evidentiary images at night, which incorporates elements of portrait, macro, still life, landscape, architecture, PJ, and occasional action.

 Rexgig0's gear list:Rexgig0's gear list
Canon EOS 7D Mark II Canon EF 135mm F2L USM Canon EF 400mm f/5.6L USM Canon EF 100mm f/2.8L Macro IS USM Nikon AF-S Micro-Nikkor 60mm f/2.8G ED +43 more
Post (hide subjects) Posted by
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow