Jpeg or RAW ( & Why) June 2013

Started Jun 8, 2013 | Photos thread
josbiker
josbiker Contributing Member • Posts: 961
Re: Did you read my response...?

Guy Parsons wrote:

josbiker wrote:

"A very easy "impossible" is to shoot from inside a house to the outside including a window or door so you have both the sunlit scene outside in the frame and also maybe 2/3 of the frame being the dimmer interior walls. Take RAW+jpeg and meter one for the outside scene and leave the room interior in deep shadow, then take another with more exposure for the interior walls and blow the outside scene out."

Why shoot "impossible" shots.?

Learn to make good shots in JPEG and you will be surprissed there is no need for RAW!

That would mean dragging in extra lighting to even up the exposure to get both inside and outside in range for the jpeg.

In the normal course of everyday shooting there are always a few "impossible" shots. Impossible because the dynamic range of the camera can't cope and then the jpeg limits what can be dragged out of that image. The RAW has a lot more data in it so can get better results in difficult lighting situations.

I fear we are involved in a "the earth is flat" - "no, it's round" sort of argument that is going nowhere.

Regards..... Guy

Be happy with your "impossible" shots. Impossible is impossible in my dictionary.

Josbiker

josbiker's gear list:josbiker's gear list
Panasonic GH5 Panasonic Leica DG Macro-Elmarit 45mm F2.8 ASPH OIS Panasonic Lumix G Macro 30mm F2.8 Panasonic Leica 100-400mm F4.0-6.3 ASPH Panasonic Leica 12-60mm F2.8-4.0 ASPH +1 more
Post (hide subjects) Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow