Advice on video software

Started Apr 21, 2013 | Discussions thread
jkoch2
jkoch2 Senior Member • Posts: 1,198
Re: Advice on video Camera

John Cerra2 wrote:

Hi every one. I have been researching the camera question for this project and wanted to get some opinions.

I have identified three cameras that I am interested in and wanted advice on the decision.

We need a camera that give high quality clips of a nationally ranked boys basketball teams. Will 50 fps work, or do I need a camera capable of more fps to get a smooth clip? Not every gym is well lit, I frequently need to shoot at 3200 iso with a prime lens to get to 1/500th shutter speed.

The trick is to shoot relatively wide with a fast lens.  If one of your camera people has a very steady hand, and also a very good on-board stabilizer (e.g. Sony PJ760) perhaps that could be used to capture closer shots.  But it is very difficult to keep action in tight frame while watching fast plays through an LCD or EVF.

That said, camera number one is the Panasonic HC X900M.  I like the ustream option, we might try streaming while we are shooting. The biggest concern is the 50 pslimit.

Most streamed HS sports video I've seen employes very low (free Skype or security camera) bitrates and does not look very good.

The X920 is a good camera and costs less than the Sony models.  Its 5-axis stabiliation is supposed to be good, too, though I've seen no direct comparisons to the Sony balanced optical steadishot.

There  are two Sonys around the same price. The 710 appears to be discontinued but still available, and the 650 which I can't find the max fps.

You can find the 710 and 760 at reduced prices, if you look.  J&R has (or had, at last glance) open box units of each for sale just now.  Both have excellent stabilization.

Any using them and have opinions?

Currently shooting aD300s, a D200, D70 and N50. Have a 'F.'
Also shooting with Konica 35mm SLRS (T3 and FT-1) with numerous Hexanon Lenses. Printer: Canon i9900.

If your crew is to consist of students or other volunteers, obviously you don't want to put a lot of high-end equipment at risk of breakage and whatnot.  To cover sports, you are also better off with several budget cameras stationed at key points, rather than to pan back and forth with a single camera somewhere in the middle.  You will also want good auto-focus, or pre-set fixed-focus for the distances needed.

DSLRs might be great for still shots, but don't trust them for sports video, at least not until you've tested various gear options during scrimmages with the lights semi-low.

1080 60p video might be great in good light, and facilitate slo-mo,  but will entail rather dark video, unless you shoot relatively wide, in a dark gym.

By all means, test everything in practice sessions or non-tournament games several times.

Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow