Jpeg or RAW ( & Why) June 2013

Started Jun 8, 2013 | Photos thread
Lights
Lights Veteran Member • Posts: 3,587
Re: depends on....

phazelag wrote:

I used to shoot everything in .RAW but I am finding that 95% of my photos dont need the advantages .RAW will provide.  I am starting to streamline my processing and doing more and more on my iPad.  So I only shoot .RAW for HDR, a Specific Landscape, or if I am concerned about a white balance issue like when I use flash or strange lighting.   Everything else including portraits I am using .JPG.  I am finding that post processing on my iPad is better and more satisfying on my iPad.

I also shoot JPEG for sports since .RAW slows the buffer down. The M4/3 cameras dont have buffers or processors fast enough for sports in .RAW yet.

Z

Yep..although I don't use an Ipad, I'm sort of coming from the same direction. The less I can do in PP, the better I feel. Sometimes, as you say, if the lighting is tricky I'll shoot Raw+jpg. Would much rather take photos than edit them (but sometimes an edit is necessary I guess).

By the way you have some really nice work in your galleries on the net.

-- hide signature --

My Gallery is here -
http://www.pbase.com/madlights
Why so serious? :The Joker

Post (hide subjects) Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow