Mirrorless vs DSLR: My BestBuy experience

Started Jun 9, 2013 | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
ItsMeAxe New Member • Posts: 4
Mirrorless vs DSLR: My BestBuy experience

Hey folks

I am very new to photography. I currently own a S95 and I am currently in the market to buy a DSLR or mirrorless. I have read numerous posts on SLR and Mirrorless and the conclusion from all of them was: Mirrorless weighs less but has less lens options and slower and not as good auto focus. DSLR is a proven technology with tons of lens options but weighs a lot! Otherwise the photo quality is the same.

I went to a BestBuy to try some cameras out and my experience was way different. I tried Canon SL1 DSLR with 18-135 STM lens and Sony NEX 6L/B Mirrorless 16-50. I shot both of them in auto mode. The viewfinder in SL1 was bright and clear, autofocus was quick, snappy and sharp and it felt responsive. Although its not full frame, the SL1 is a "What you see is what you get".

The NEX 6L/B is currently the 2nd best selling Mirrorless on Amazon with 4.5 star rating but I was thoroughly disappointed with the camera. The viewfinder was "fake". The quality and colors on the view finder cannot be compared with a DSLR's bright and clear viewfinder. With the SL1, the viewfinder just has autofocus points that barely interferes with what you see but the 6L/B had all kinds of stuff displayed in its viewfinder which was noisy and very interfering.

The LCD display was my second complaint. Again, colors that the display showed were very inaccurate on the NEX. The SL1 display looked so much better. The LCD was way more complicated on the NEX as well. I just could not figure out a way to delete a pic on the NEX.

Third complaint, probably the biggest one, is the lens. Although on paper they are supposed to be similar in performance, I felt the SL1 took much better pictures, as far as I could see on the camera's LCD displays. I took some close up shots of my wife's hands. SL1 created awesome pics but the NEX left me wanting for more.

Overall, my experience was not inline with what Amazon reviews say or what other posts say. I was wondering if there is something wrong with the NEX I used or if there are others who think the same about mirrorless and DSLR.

Canon EOS Rebel SL1 (EOS 100D) Canon PowerShot S95
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
Post (hide subjects) Posted by
ecm
tko
tex
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow