Canon Powershot G15 sound issues

Started Jun 9, 2013 | Questions thread
OP DanielSansao New Member • Posts: 5
Re: Canon Powershot G15 sound issues

edu T wrote:

Not an audio expert here but I am under the impression —confirmation, anyone?— that the barrage of drums, some of them nearer than a couple of feet from you, was overloading the (very tiny) mics themselves.

In this case, no recording level control, analog or digital, would have done any good -- for the signal came already clipped from the source (mics) and you'd only get a quieter but still heavily distorted signal.

The most effective solution I can see would be to trust the sound to a dedicated recorder (these things are not that expensive) and sync the soundtrack in post. You can imagine the gain in quality...

Yeah, I know the sound is too loud, but i'm used to record this kind of videos with an iPhone 4 and the sound is ok. Here's an example:

http://youtu.be/Fjs7dNl3tvY

I was hoping that the G15 mics would have at least the same sound quality.

I wrote Canon about this issue today and they were very quick to answer:

-- hide signature --

Thank you for contacting Canon product support. I am sorry to hear that video captured using your PowerShot G15 camera is not replaying the sound correctly.

Unfortunately, there is no adjustment that can be made in the camera to reduce the distortion you are recording with the drum sound. I apologize for any inconvenience this may cause.

I hope this information is helpful to you. Please let us know if we can be of any further assistance with your PowerShot G15 camera. Thank you for choosing Canon
-----

Well, bummer. I'll try the dedicated recorders. Thanks!

Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow