Seattle to LA Photography road trip

Started Jun 1, 2013 | Discussions thread
KENTGA Veteran Member • Posts: 5,409
Re: Thank you all: Itinerary draft

I realize that you're from the UK and it's a long way to the Pacific Coast. I you don't know when you'll be back in the area, here's what I'd suggest:

1. After Portland, pick 2 or 3 beaches to visit along the Oregon coast and then head for Crater Lake. As pressed for time as you are, you can see most of it in 2 or 3 hours, preferrable the afternoon. Then head south as far as you can go (to Redding if possible).

2. It's 340 miles to Yosemite from Redding and then 350 miles from Yosemite to LA. LA will be crowded. You're not doing Yosemite justice, but you could spend a couple of hours in Yosemite Yalley and then go to Tunnel View afterwards and then drive to the end of Glacier Point Road for late afternoon shots after Tunnel View. Then go back to the Valley for AM shots the following morning.

A possible alternate if you think you'll ever come back to the area.

Seattle > Portland > 2 or 3 beaches in OR > Crater Lake from the north then drive to the south end and night in Medford or Brookings. (Be careful on Hwy 140 from Crater Lake to Medford. You will get a speeding ticket. I got one and there were very few cars on the mostly straight road.) Then to one of the Redwood Parks and Hwy 101 to Marin County (north of San Fran) or San Fran. Stay off Hwy 1 along the northern CA coast north of San Fran. It's very curvy and you can barely go over 35 mph and most of the beaches look the same.

Just before the Golden Gate Bridge, take Conzelman Road to the west and make photos of the GG Bridge (hopefully it will be in the afternoon and you'll have some sun. Then take Hwy 1 south to at least Big Sur country and see anything else on the way to LA.

On your return trip to the western US:

Fly into Denver and go to Rocky Mountain National Park to the North and then head Colorado National Monument and take the 23 mile loop and then to Moab Utah and Arches National Park, Canyonlands and Dead Horse Point.

Or fly into Salt Lake City and do the above but skip Rocky Mountain National Park.

Then go to Capitol Reef Park, Bryce Canyon and Zion National Park.

Drive from Zion to Las Vegas and then Death Valley and Hwy 395 to Lone Pine, Bishop and Lee Vining and Mono Lake and the eastern entrance to Yosemite. Visit east Yosemite in the afternoon and overnight in Lee Vining. If you like ghost towns visit Bodie CA State Park. Drive Tioga Road to Yose Valley (Hwy 120). This road may be closed until early June.

Link to Bodie: http://www.parks.ca.gov/?page_id=509

After Yosemite fly out of Sacramento or San Fran.

Kent

KENTGA's gear list:KENTGA's gear list
Canon EOS 7D Canon EOS 6D Canon EOS Rebel SL1 Canon EOS 80D Canon EOS 5D Mark IV +15 more
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow