Key reason M43 isn't gaining traction against DSLRs: Price

Started Jun 7, 2013 | Discussions thread
jquagga Contributing Member • Posts: 616
Re: Key reason M43 isn't gaining traction against DSLRs: Price

Cimarron wrote:

Anyway, I think high prices are one of the main reasons M43 hasn't gained much traction against DSLRs.  If I'm a consumer who wants the best image quality at the lowest price, I'm grabbing that Sony deal and passing on the high-priced new M43 cameras.

It is an issue.  I invest more in my DSLR equipment (Nikon) because I get a better bang for the buck.  However I'm an enthusiast the cruises through dpreview.

I think for an average person, the DSLR has the reputation of having the best performance and that's why they buy them.  However, I see most "average people" with DSLR with the kit lens on so lens prices are pretty irrelevant   The auto-focus speed difference between a PDAF and a m43 though is an issue when they're trying to chase kids around.  That's why if someone asked, I'd have a discussion with mirrorless but probably end up recommending a DSLR (unless they were really concerned with size).

I think it'll be interesting to see how things unfold in the camera world.  I think what remains to be seen now is if on-sensor PDAF can perform against a DSLR/DSLT.  If it can, then the mirrors can come out of at least the entry level DSLRs.  Then the m43 / DSLR discussion just comes down the size trade-off between sensor size and lens size.  Basically the same discussion which happens now between APS-C and Full Frame.  But if I can have a mirrorless camera (albeit a bit thicker) which can mount EF or F mount lenses, that's a big deal.

For right now, I think all of this worrying is a bit senseless.  By the time the market settles this out, we will have gotten our money's worth from our existing systems.

Post (hide subjects) Posted by
tko
xi5
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow