Key reason M43 isn't gaining traction against DSLRs: Price

Started Jun 7, 2013 | Discussions thread
grumpyolderman Senior Member • Posts: 1,085
Re: Key reason M43 isn't gaining traction against DSLRs: Price

averacpa wrote:

"Most DSLR shooters I know have never even seen a m43 in the real, and they are very surprised when they see some of my shots, often better than theirs, they ask in disbelieve what camera has taken them!"

How often when someone sees your great shot do they ask:  "What camera took them or what camera do you use?"  The emphasis is on the make/model of camera.  Rarely is it what equipment did you use or what was your technique in getting that shot.  The majority of folks believe that the camera is the sole piece of equipment that takes great shots, not the person, the lens or the technique. They just want to know the name of the camera you are using.  If you give them technical details, it just goes over their head.

My whole point is that if m4/3 is to strive (giving all the pros and cons mentioned already), the makers of these cameras need to focus their marketing strategies on the more probable users (those looking for good quality images, but value lighter weight and size as the main deciding factor).

Totally agree, what many people don't realise is just how much easier it is to get stunning pictures with m43 than with DSLRs.

Obviously it is the person behind the camera taking the pics and if you know what you are doing and what your camer might not be good at, you can still get stunning shots with a P&S.

Amongst other things m43 is easier transportable, so more non-phone shots can be had, and i also think most m43 cameras are less intimidating than DSLRs, so it is easier (imho) to learn those skills and you are still able to change the eyes of your camera with very good, cheap legacy glasses. But that message needs to come across, and when I try to show people how easy it can be with m43, it is just because I of course think they would enjoy it more as well.

You have dozens of photography magazines, 90% I would estimate DSLR focused! These are free adverts for mirror cameras, no such thing for m43.

JL

Post (hide subjects) Posted by
tko
xi5
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow