A digital camera with a certain "film feature"

Started Jun 7, 2013 | Discussions thread
Timj351
Timj351 Veteran Member • Posts: 4,165
Re: A digital camera with a certain "film feature"

Anepo wrote:

Here is what I am wondering: Am i crazy to long for a digital compact camera that has got an optical viewfinder with settings unfo in it but does NOT have an lcd on the back?

A kind of a digital "film camera"? Where you wont know what you got until you put the sd card in your computer at home?

Is it just me that longs for something like that? Or does anyone else find that an appealing idea?

I think you might be crazy but I do GET what you are asking. But, like many others have stated it is a very unrealistic notion to expect any camera maker to do away with the LCD when all you have to do is turn it off or never press the Playback button. Some very good solutions have been offered.

I mainly use a bridge camera and a couple of compacts for my shooting nowadays but I also keep around a Canon XTi/400D that I now think of as my 'old school' SLR, even though it is digital. My other 'real' SLR's are interesting to look at once in awhile but I have almost no interest in using them anymore. The XTi doesn't have image preview and even in Playback mode the smallish screen is not up to todays standards so my desire to chimp on it is much less. It's in perfect shape and still a very fine camera for my modest needs so when I want that 'classic' SLR experience that's about as close as I am willing to go these days.

I have thought about another feature that I would like to see that is in line with what you are asking. My bridge camera has a nice flip out LCD that closes to protect the screen. I thought it might be cool to have a small LCD screen on the backside of the main LCD that you can view at all times when it is in the closed position. This could be a monochrome information-only screen and could be really useful if you only wanted to use the viewfinder without playing back any of your photos. Probably not gonna happen though but I can wish.

I can't imagine too many photography student nowadays wanting to learn on a film camera unless they really had a strong interest in film photography. There are certainly many aspects of film photography that is interesting to learn about but I know I would have learned much more and in a much shorter time if I was trained with digital cameras. I would have saved a lot of money too.

Good luck in your quest. I just don't see it ever happening, however.

-Tim

Timj351's gear list:Timj351's gear list
Sony Cyber-shot DSC-F707 Panasonic Lumix DMC-FP8 Panasonic Lumix DMC-FZ150 Panasonic Lumix DMC-LX7 Panasonic Lumix DMC-FZ200 +5 more
Post (hide subjects) Posted by
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow