Key reason M43 isn't gaining traction against DSLRs: Price

Started Jun 7, 2013 | Discussions thread
MichaelKJ Veteran Member • Posts: 3,466
Re: Combination of price and performance

trac63 wrote:

Cimarron wrote:

I just noticed today that you can get the latest Sony DSLT, the A58, with kit lens and 75-300mm zoom at B&H for $596.  Or you can get the very highly rated Pentax K-30 with kit lens for only $538.

By comparison, the Lumix G6 with kit lens is $750, and the previous-generation G5 is $599 for the kit.  And the OM-D and GH3 are still around $1,300 with the kit lens.

It's the same story with lenses.  There are all kinds of inexpensive APS-C lenses that are pretty high quality.  But with M43, you pay a premium for high image quality (with the exception of the Sigmas).

The problem with mirrorless cameras in general is that size, weight and (sometimes) stealth are the only real advantages they have over DSLRs at present, and those advantages largely go away as soon as you want to use a flash, tripod and/or long lens.

Size and weight advantage was the main factor in my decision to switch to m4/3. The advantage still remains on those occasions when I carry flash, light weight tripod and long lenses (I rarely carry all three at the same time).  In fact, the ability to bet much smaller and lighter long lenses is a major advantage.

There's no question that there are some bargains to be had with Micro 4/3 cameras in the sub-$500 range, but once you go higher up in the price scale, it becomes difficult to recommend the $950 Olympus OM-D E-M5 over the $780 Nikon D7000, or even the $1,100 D7100.

Not difficult at all. In fact, Thom Hogan recently stopped using a Nikon APS-C camera because he felt that the E-M5 has only a small disadvantage in IQ that is outweighed (pun intended) by its size and weight advantage. I don't think he is the only pro who has decided that the optimal system combination is FF and mirrorless.

MichaelKJ's gear list:MichaelKJ's gear list
Sony RX100 III Olympus PEN E-PL1 Olympus OM-D E-M5 +1 more
Post (hide subjects) Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow