Jpeg or RAW ( & Why) June 2013

Started Jun 8, 2013 | Photos thread
Steven Wandy Veteran Member • Posts: 5,406
Re: Jpeg or RAW ( & Why) June 2013

Using an EM5 and an Oly XZ-2, I generally shoot RAW and process through Aperture. The results of the RAW input are a good starting point for me - perhaps not quite equal to the Olympus JPEGs, but close enough - and generally only have to click on AUTO fix to get very close to what I like.

But, when I am using the 2X Digital Teleconverter on either camera, I generally shoot either JPEG alone (or RAW+JPEG if not shooting a lot of shots) because I feel that the resulting JPEG is better to my eyes than cropping of the RAW file.

I also shoot RAW+JPEG when using the Art Filters so I always have the original shot.

I think that when these RAW vs JPEG discussions started with 4/3 and then m4/3 cameras, the difference in IQ was much more significant than now. RAW still does allow for more processing possibilities, and I understand that the people who love to really play with the files appreciate that, but for a lot of people, the JPEGs are sufficient for their use.

To be honest - if programs like Aperture and Lightroom did not make working with RAW files so easy, I think I would have gone back to JPEGs long ago.

Steven Wandy's gear list:Steven Wandy's gear list
Canon PowerShot G7 X Olympus PEN E-PL1 Olympus PEN-F Olympus M.Zuiko Digital ED 40-150mm 1:4-5.6 Olympus Body Cap Lens 15mm F8.0 +6 more
Post (hide subjects) Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow