Little gem

Started Jun 8, 2013 | User reviews thread
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
Osvaldo Cristo
Osvaldo Cristo Veteran Member • Posts: 4,220
Little gem

For a few years I have been the owner of this little gem, Tokina AT-X Pro 35mm f/2.8 Macro DX.

For years I have wondered why users of DX sized sensor cameras looks to forget the equivalent to 50-60 mm lens so popular for macro in the old SLR film world and that doubt was my main drive to try this lens.

Mounted into my Nikon D300S this lens is a great performer and the ideal focal length for a lot of work I actually made:

1. Copy work: I had space problems to get some copy work from bigger paints using bigger focal length. This lens looks to have the right one for paints and even to be used on a copy bench to copy smaller items
  2. Studio: I mount my amateur studio in my library to shot small items and compositions. Usually it will include small toys, bottle and flower bouquets. Again, the lens looks the correct to me also for these subjects. I use it also for image stacking either with manual focus (great) or AF controlled by my computer and Helicon Remote
  3. Museum: usually museums will not allow flash photography inside. At f/2.8 and with great IQ this lens is a great companion in such visits
  4. In the field: I love to include some of the surroundings when shooting flowers and fungi. Actually I prefer to use in such circumstances my Nikkor 12-24 with Canon 50D close-up filter, but this lens is my second best option for usability and the first one for sharpness.

On the other hand, despite it can come to 1:1, it will need the subject can be focused in a very few millimeters from the lens. It is not feasible to use it at 1:1, at last for the situations I have faced. Additionally, the companion lens hood is a joke: a mere 3-4mm short cylinder to be attached into the lens.

The bottom line is it is a great lens to be used at the same way the veterans used (then) the popular 50-60 mm macro in the not so long past. I recommend it.

Regards,

-- hide signature --

O.Cristo - An Amateur Photographer
Opinions of men are almost as various as their faces - so many men so many minds. B. Franklin

Osvaldo Cristo's gear list:Osvaldo Cristo's gear list
Olympus Stylus 1030 SW Nikon D200 Nikon D300S Nikon D810 Nikon AF DX Fisheye-Nikkor 10.5mm f/2.8G ED +32 more
Tokina AT-X Pro 35mm f/2.8 Macro DX
Macro prime lens • Canon EF-S, Nikon F (DX) • AT-X M35 PRO DX
Osvaldo Cristo's score
Average community score
Canon EOS 50D Nikon D300S Tokina AT-X Pro 35mm f/2.8 Macro DX
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
Post (hide subjects) Posted by
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow