Key reason M43 isn't gaining traction against DSLRs: Price

Started Jun 7, 2013 | Discussions thread
jalywol
jalywol Veteran Member • Posts: 9,467
Re: Key reason M43 isn't gaining traction against DSLRs: Price

Cimarron wrote:

I just noticed today that you can get the latest Sony DSLT, the A58, with kit lens and 75-300mm zoom at B&H for $596.  Or you can get the very highly rated Pentax K-30 with kit lens for only $538.

By comparison, the Lumix G6 with kit lens is $750, and the previous-generation G5 is $599 for the kit.  And the OM-D and GH3 are still around $1,300 with the kit lens.

It's the same story with lenses.  There are all kinds of inexpensive APS-C lenses that are pretty high quality.  But with M43, you pay a premium for high image quality (with the exception of the Sigmas).

Anyway, I think high prices are one of the main reasons M43 hasn't gained much traction against DSLRs.  If I'm a consumer who wants the best image quality at the lowest price, I'm grabbing that Sony deal and passing on the high-priced new M43 cameras.

I wonder if prices will moderate as the technology matures? DSLR prices sure have...

I would give you another reason, at least in the USA: Distribution.  As of about two weeks ago, ALL the mirrorless cameras except one basic NEX and the Nikon 1, were no longer on display at my local Best Buy.  Given that in many parts of the country, BB is about the only place to go try a camera anymore, this means that, in essence, mirrorless has now become invisible to consumers in much of the US.

Lots of DSLRs on display, not so many P&S's anymore either, and NO Oly, Panasonic, Samsung, or upper level Sony NEX either.  All of those had been there a month earlier, so clearly BB has decided that mirrorless is not a good choice for their customers. (Personally, I think it has more to do with how badly their salespeople were trained on the technology; whenever I would go in and look at the mirrorless, if I had a question, the salespeople would give me outright misinformation and then try and steer me to the DSLRs).

If Oly and Panasonic want to capture the market, they need to get their products into stores,  ADVERTISE, and TRAIN THE SALESPEOPLE.

Until then, they will, in the US at least, remain an also-ran.

-J

Post (hide subjects) Posted by
tko
xi5
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow