Sony NEX-6 or Olympus OMD EM5?

Started Apr 15, 2013 | Discussions thread
captura Forum Pro • Posts: 25,580
Re: Sony NEX-6 or Olympus OMD EM5?

I own a NEX-5R, which is very similar to the NEX-6 but $200 cheaper, lacking an EVF. (For those times when I need an EVF, I haul out my Pana. G1.) Now my NEX-5R has a touchscreen which flip up% over, or flips down. I can also operate the shutter from the touchscreen.

The ergonomics on both cameras 5R & 6 are superb, and I can't stand the OMD's tiny buttons and fake mirror styling. To each his own.

Other innovations like the Navi wheel make the NEX-5R/6 very easy to use. I have other m43 cameras as well, and I love my E-PL1's Supermenu especially. But the number of keepable shots (not 'keepers') with the 5R is about 99%. AS far as I'm concerned, this is the best camera.

Tedolph...the NEX-3 and NEX-5 were discontinued about 3 years ago. The NEX-7 is about to be replaced with a new version which I expect will be remarkable, and will again carry 24mp or more.

People who say there are not enough quality NEX lenses have old information. There is now a large line-up and some are as good as anything for m43. But if I want to shoot medium telephoto I grab my Olympus 40-150R, (purchase price was $150 ) and put that on my G1 or GF2 or best yet, the stabilized E-PL1.

The 40-150R  is faster than the 40-150, and is optimized to give accurate imaging between 100 and 150mm, a feat which is unparalled by any of the other Panasonic or Olympus lenses.

So the 5R offers me the highest grade of keepable shots. The 40% larger sensor size, focus peaking & superior ergonomics means that the NEX-6/5R are better than E-M5 for the use of manual lenses.

captura's gear list:captura's gear list
Sony Alpha a7 Canon EF-S 18-55mm f/3.5-5.6 IS Canon EF 50mm f/1.8 STM
Post (hide subjects) Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow