First Thoughts on the D5200

Started Jun 2, 2013 | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
daviddavis71
daviddavis71 Contributing Member • Posts: 502
First Thoughts on the D5200

This is my amateur opinion of the D5200.  It is my first dSLR.

The camera is easy to learn.  The kit 18-55 lens takes nice photos.  And I do love the camera

My biggest issues are

Weight - it is too light.  I like it better when I have my 70-300 lens which is much heavier than the camera and helps me hold the camera a little more steady.

Size - It is a little small for my hands.  I am an average size man and my ring finger and pinky finger hang off the bottom of the camera.

Viewfinder - I wear glasses and I find the view finder difficult.  I have a hard time reading the info inside the viewfinder - YES I ADJUSTED THE DIOPTER and it is in focus.  It just feels "too small" and is especially hard to read in bright light outdoor shooting.

Button Placement - I don't love the placement of the "function button" or the "aperture" button for shooting manual.  Maybe my hands are too big as mentioned above, but I think they could have done a better job of ergonomics on the camera.

RAW shooting.  Nobody told me that RAW is "soft" and needs to be "sharpened" in post processing ("PP").  I learned this in an online photo class.  That would have been nice if stated more clearly in the manual.

Again, I really like this camera and would recommend it to anyone else just starting.  I made the mistake of not playing with enough Canon or any competitors cameras to compare my complaint issues, so I cannot comment on comparison sake.

Just my take on my new camera.  I will continue to play and practice and if I think of any other thoughts I will post updates.

Thanks

David

-- hide signature --

www.davisaudio.com

daviddavis71's gear list:daviddavis71's gear list
Nikon D750 Nikon D500 Nikon AF-S DX Nikkor 35mm F1.8G Nikon AF Nikkor 50mm f/1.4D Nikon AF-S Nikkor 70-300mm f/4.5-5.6G VR +7 more
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow