Birding and the D7100

Started May 30, 2013 | Discussions thread
Humanoid
Humanoid Veteran Member • Posts: 4,687
Re: Thanks for the replies

Alton (TN) wrote:

Thanks for all who shared some really wonderful photos and the insight into the lens choices.

I think I would go with the 80-200 if I could get things my way. I find that I almost always can use extra reach. In fact, that is part of my thinking with the cropped high MP sensor of the D7100.

I can't remember if I read somewhere or not if the D7100 will AF with lens speed at F8. In other words, will a 2X TC work with a F4.0 lens or 1.4 work with F5.6 lens? If so, the 80-400 might have quite good reach on a 1.5 cropped sensor with 24MP.

Another question I have is what does the "s" mean in the lens designator? I see some Nikkor lens designated AF-S.

"S" means the lens has the silent wave motor.

I've owned the AF-S 80-200 and it's an excellent lens, but for near the same price you can have the AF-S 300mm f4 prime that is a gem of a lens and excepts the TC14eII with very little image degradation.  It is a light lens and hard to keep steady, thus a tripod or monopod should be used.

-- hide signature --

Cheers,
Ray

Humanoid's gear list:Humanoid's gear list
Nikon D2X Nikon D3 Nikon D200 Nikon D300 Nikon D700 +9 more
Post (hide subjects) Posted by
(unknown member)
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow