Is the OM-d a good beginner's camera? Locked

Started May 29, 2013 | Discussions thread
This thread is locked.
rsmithgi Senior Member • Posts: 2,122
Re: imho no again

enrique santa wrote:

And much more cheaper....so are you going to spend a lot money in something your just triyng?.....
--
All we need is love
http://www.flickr.com/photos/montoablasa1/

The question was whether it was a good beginner's camera, not the cheapest, not the most economical, not the most logical, not the best. In fact, I would likely recommend a cheaper camera but that doesn't make the E-M5 a bad choice.

IMO, the only downsides are price and size.

The pluses are:

1. Built in EVF

2. ability to use external flash on hotshoe and EVF at the same time. This is the only Oly that does that and IMO a big advantage over the Pens.

3. 5 axis IBIS

4. Weather sealing

BTW, the E-M5 and E-P5 are more than I am willing to spend on a camera and I am not a beginner. It is a hobby for me. I set a reasonable budget (for me) on what I am willing to spend on photography equipment. One of the reasons I switched from Nikon DSLRs is that the cost of cameras with all of the features I wanted was too high. In particular, you needed to get the D7000 to get high speed sync and the ability to focus non-AFS lenses. I wasn't willing to spend over $1000 to get the upgraded sensor I wanted. I settled for the D5000, which I really liked, but the lack of HSS always bugged me.

I switched to m43 and now I have 2 cameras (GX1 and G3) that can currently be purchased for $250 that support most of the still camera features of the >$1000 GH3.

My hope is that Panny will release a G-series at some point with a sensor as good as the E-M5 or that Oly will release a cheaper alternative with a built in EVF and good ergonomics. I will look at the reviews of the G6 pretty closely.

rsmithgi's gear list:rsmithgi's gear list
Olympus PEN E-P5 Olympus E-M1 Panasonic Lumix G 14mm F2.5 ASPH Olympus M.Zuiko Digital ED 40-150mm 1:4-5.6 R Olympus M.Zuiko Digital 45mm F1.8 +6 more
Post (hide subjects) Posted by
(unknown member)
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow