which is the best 70-300mm for A57

Started May 22, 2013 | Discussions thread
NAwlins Contrarian Veteran Member • Posts: 3,315
Re: which is the best 70-300mm for A57

re: "the Sony Steady Shot was so much more effective then Sigma OS that I end up always leaving the Sigma OS turned off and the Sony Steady Shot turned on."

That to me is maybe the main reason to choose the current top-end Tamron 70-300 (the SP USD) over the current top-end Sigma 70-300 (OS). The Sigma has optical image stabilization on the Sony version, while the Tamron does not; and the Tamron has an SSM/USM-type focus motor, while the Sigma does not. Given the choice between (1) the Sigma's optical stabilization with little if any value beyond what the Sony bodies' sensor-shift Super Steady Shot provides, and (2) the Tamron's ultrasonic focus motor with substantial improvements in focusing speed and/or accuracy plus the ability to do full-time manual focus touch-ups, to me the Tamron seemed like the much better call. (If there were big differences in optical quality, that might be the most important factor, but as far as I could tell, overall, there do not appear to be.)

NAwlins Contrarian's gear list:NAwlins Contrarian's gear list
Nikon Coolpix S30 Canon PowerShot S110 Sony Alpha DSLR-A580 Tamron SP AF 90mm F/2.8 Di Macro Tamron SP 70-300mm F/4-5.6 Di USD +5 more
Post (hide subjects) Posted by
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow