Question About OM-D for the OM-D Users

Started May 29, 2013 | Discussions thread
purpleray Senior Member • Posts: 1,261
Re: Question About OM-D for the OM-D Users

rrr_hhh wrote:

kcamacho11 wrote:

Thanks for your detailed response.

I, for one, do not use many primes. I am just a serious enthusiast and do not like to carry around many lenses with me when I go on trips....

I would consider either having the 14-150 for all-purpose, along with the 20 F1.7 Pany for low light....or go with the kit 12-50, the 45-150 and the Pany 20 F1.7......That being the case, how does the OM-D perform with the 14-150 in terms of image quality?

I don't own the 14-150mm so I don't really know. Usually transtandard zooms aren't as good as two zooms. You gain versatility, but you loose some IQ.

The Olympus 40-150mm is a good value for its price, I was pleasantly surprised. It is better at the short end than at the long end, so it is better to avoid using it at 150mm, rather stop at 125-130mm and close aperture at F8 : it makes a real difference. It is a very light and small lens for its range; only drawback is that as you zoom in the lens  extends itself and becomes twice as long : you won't go unnoticed ! It makes a good pair with the 14-42mm collapsible zoom.

The 20mm F1.7 was a cult lens for MFT. It is a small and light pancake. It is extremely sharp even in the corners and is fast. Since it is already on the wider side, you won't get much shallow DOF if that is what you are after, but you will be able to shoot handheld in lower light conditions. There are some drawbacks however : compared to newer lenses, it is a little slower to focus, especially in low light (the workaround is to use the center point to AF on a well lighted zone located at the same distance as your subject and then reframe). The newer Panasonic lenses don't have those issues (14mm F2.5 or 25mm F1.4) .  The 14mm is a good value for the money (Asian dealers on eBay sell it for 180-190$), it is very tiny and light. The 25mm is as good as the 20mm, can offer as good results as the 20mm, focus a little better, but is bigger and cumbersome with the attached hood.

I'd go for a standard zoom, plus the Olympus 40-150mm and a fast prime : 14mm, 20mm or 25mm Panasonic, or the 17mm F1.8 Olympus. But avoid the Olympus 17mm F2.8 pancake : it isn't a good lens.

Just to add to this fine lens summary.

I have been a zoom guy for about 40 years - so understand what you are saying about the convenience of  zooms BUT will remind you as others have of the tension between convenience and of course  aperture and IQ.

I bought into 4/3's because of the 12-60 and 50-200 fast lenses and compared with FF and APS-C lenses with similar FOV's amazingly compact (at their time, there weren't really alternatives)

Now with m4/3, I cant believe how big and bulky these two great 4/3 lenses are.

I have m4/3's 7-14, 12-35 and 14-150.  Each  for what they do and their aperture are unbelievably tiny.  This is the big difference with Nex.  This compact convenience appears to be what you are interested in.

The 3 zooms, I have also have great IQ for their purposes

The 14-150 in particular is amazingly compact and with an IQ that makes me often look for excuses to use it instead of the 12-35 because of the convenient zoom range.  I now only use the 12-35 in low light or when I'm specifically shooting a particular project or one of my semi-pro theatre jobs.  The 14-150 is my preferred walk around / travel lens.

Shallow DOF - 12-35 is pretty good but I use the 45 f1.8 when I need to - just simply a small great inexpensive lens.  You just have to choose your lens in m4/3 for shallow DOF.

The plan has been to buy a 35-100 when I get the next generation OMD for my second m4/3 camera for serious photo sessions.   The 20 f1.7 and 75 f1.8 have now tempted me instead but that is another story.

Cheers

Ray

Post (hide subjects) Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow