Is the OM-d a good beginner's camera? Locked

Started May 29, 2013 | Discussions thread
This thread is locked.
tedolf
OP tedolf Forum Pro • Posts: 26,540
Re: Way back in 1960....

Guy Parsons wrote:

Last century, when a spotty youth (hmm, still spotty) in 1960 as far as I can recall, I thought that I might like to buy a camera. (Then was definitely a major purchase consuming near to 10 weeks of my apprentice pay at the time).

So the first thing I did was to visit the library and read every book I could find on photography.

Went from a state of not knowing what an aperture or shutter speed was to a state of knowing that if I wanted to do photography properly I would need an SLR and an incident light meter and eventually a bunch of lenses.

So bought a Minolta SR-1 plus a Sekonic Brockway incident light meter and had great success from day one. Not daunted by the camera at all as the excessive prior reading on the subject had made the camera so "familiar" when I started using it.

So... there is absolutely no harm in buying an "ambitious" camera as a beginner, as long as the necessary reading and research and now of course, Internet questions, are done to be able to understand what the camera can do and how to drive it properly.

Regards.... Guy (still have that first camera and that Sekonic light meter still works)

My Sekonic selenium meter still works too and I have the UW housing for it (but the O-ring is flat).

Tedolph

tedolf's gear list:tedolf's gear list
Olympus PEN E-P5 Olympus M.Zuiko Digital ED 9-18mm F4.0-5.6 Olympus M.Zuiko Digital ED 40-150mm 1:4-5.6 Olympus M.Zuiko Digital 14-42mm 1:3.5-5.6 II R Samyang 7.5mm F3.5 UMC Fisheye MFT +8 more
Post (hide subjects) Posted by
(unknown member)
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow