WTH? Ricoh GR vs NEX 6 with Sigma 19 vs D800E (link to another thread)

Started May 26, 2013 | Discussions thread
captura Forum Pro • Posts: 24,619
Re: Fair Test on page 6, Ricoh GR vs Sigma DP1 Merril (Sigma 19/2.8)

Nicholas W wrote:

So it is basically a NEX 16Mp sensor with Low-PF that is causing blurring, but not the lens itself? I wish Sony can offer optional NEX 3Ne/5Re/6e/7e - without Low-PF for those of us who wants better sharpness and is willing to live with occasional artifacts. Seems easy thing to do, no? I bet that it can slightly increase light transmittance as well - since  Low-PF still is not 100% translucent, right?

It's mostly the lens. The Sigma 30mm is significantly sharper in the corners than the Sigma 19mm, as I linked above, and as the original tester and many others (included myself) have personally verified.

The original tester redid it with the Sigma 30mm and stated that it was a lot better, basically down to the minor advantage from the low-pass filter.

Rumors have been that the NEX7 successor will not have a low-pass filter.

Considering that the 19mm is a very wide lens, it is still very, very good. Far better than the 16/2.8, 16-50 or the 18-55 kit lenses, and perhaps sharper than the new E-20.

captura's gear list:captura's gear list
Sony Alpha a7 Canon EF 50mm f/1.8 STM
Post (hide subjects) Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow