What do you load on to SSD?

Started May 26, 2013 | Discussions thread
Shop cameras & lenses ▾
Ho72 Senior Member • Posts: 1,723
Re: What do you load on to SSD?

You might as well follow the advice you've been given because everyone is doing it that way (OS and apps on SSD). I can tell you from experience though that once everything is loaded and cached in RAM that the SSD's advantage is minimal.

As an experiment, I loaded Win8 and my apps on a Samsung 830 256GB SSD. I recorded load times for various software like Photoshop and Lightroom and I also used that config long enough to get the general feel of the system.

Then I loaded everything on a Velociraptor 250GB spinner and ran the tests again. The clear win for the SSD was boot time and initial app loads. Wins 7&8 have very good caching schemes and once an app is cached, the second load is very quick. With the Raptor, Photoshop loads a little over two seconds, LR is a little slower, loading in 4 seconds. Explorer (or File Explorer as it's now called) is just there instantly; same for IE. Since I reboot once in a blue moon, I don't see a speed penalty very often.

So what do I put on my SSD? Scratch, working files (images), LR catalog, Camera raw cache, and any other file that will benefit from the speed of the SSD. I realize that I'm not following conventional wisdom, but I've never given a rat's patoot about conventional wisdom. If I thought I was paying a large performance penalty by using a Raptor for my system disk I wouldn't be doing so. My own experience says that I'm not.

Post (hide subjects) Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow