DP3M vs NEX 7

Started May 27, 2013 | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
nick_webster
nick_webster Veteran Member • Posts: 7,623
DP3M vs NEX 7

Been playing with my new DP3M for a couple of days so I thought I'd get out my NEX 7 to see how they compare. These are just some subjective thoughts about the two.

Size : The DP is really stretching the term pocketable. Fits in the leg pocket of my cargo pants but due to awkward shape it's not entirely comfortable. Really needs a small bag I guess. Here's the odd thing - stick a 50mm lens on the NEX and they are virtually the same size ! The Sony manages to fit in an articulating LCD - very handy - a grip and larger/higher capacity battery - both also very handy - and an excellent EVF - even handier. I'd also give the nod to the NEX for its external controls.

Adaptability : A no-brainer really One has a fixed 50mm f2.8 semi macro lens, the other can fit just about any MF lens ever made plus a choice of AF lenses.

Battery life : Another nod to the Sony

Ergonomics : I prefer Sony's approach with a nicely shaped grip covered in a rubber both back and front. With the non-retractable lenses of the DPxMs I would have thought Sigma might have added something better on the front as it doesn't affect how pocketable they are - plus they could then use a bigger battery

Software : Lots of RAW developers ( pick one you like ) vs SPP followed by some other software if you need anything slightly complicated doing - such as a crop I hate SPP so I'm biased but choice would be better

Picture quality :  Obviously a lot of this is subjective and subject dependant. In good light with static subjects I would still give the nod to the DP here. It's very close in terms of detail but I like the crispness of the DP shots. Colour is a bit brown/cool depending on light but not too bad - better than my old DPs. Sony's colours are a tad vivid developed in Aperture, but again easily toned down. Anything other than good light I think the Sony wins - better AF, better WB in anything other then sunshine, and better high ISO. Here's a shot at ISO1600 and you can see the weave in the wick of the red candle ( view original size in my gallery to see ) - plus the DP would have needed ISO 3200 as I used f2 on the NEX here:

So why oh why didn't Sigma make the DP an interchangeable lens camera ? That way people could have bought one body and added their lens of choice, or used any of the old MF lenses out there. I'd love to have that sensor behind some of the lenses I have and I think it would have brought more people to the brand. There aren't many who want to be stuck with a fixed focal length and I think it limits the appeal of the DPs.

If anyone has any questions or requests I'll be happy to try and help,

Nick

Sony Alpha NEX-7
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
Post (hide subjects) Posted by
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow