WTH? Ricoh GR vs NEX 6 with Sigma 19 vs D800E (link to another thread)

Started May 26, 2013 | Discussions thread
captura Forum Pro • Posts: 24,396
Re: WTH? Ricoh GR vs NEX 6 with Sigma 19 vs D800E (link to another thread)

Nicholas W wrote:

The Sigma 30mm is the very sharp one, the 19mm is decent but not on par with the 30mm, if that helps. I picked up an Olympus Zuiko 24mm lens for my NEX7 and it's sharper than my Sigma 19mm. I'm pretty sure the Sony 20mm prime is sharper than the Sigma 19mm, that would have been a more fair comparison.

The Sigma 19mm is a $99 lens, it's a fantastic value. It's not sharp enough to push the NEX6 to its limits in the corners, let alone the NEX7 with half again as much detail in the same size sensor.

Also - the Ricoh has no low-pass filter, so it's going to beat the NEX6 at the sensor, even with equivalent lenses, which were not used for this test. Similarly, any 16mp Fuji with an x-trans sensor will beat any NEX with a 16mp sensor on sharpness at the sensor, again because of no low-pass filter.

I disagree. I have both the 19 and 30 Sigma lenses. They are very close in performance as witnessed at Lensrentals IMATEST comparisons, with both m43 and NEX variants. Certainly the 30 will slightly outperform, especially in the corners wide open. To be expected.

I can also understand that operating the 19 on a NEX-7 will be an exception to the rule, because the NEX_7 fares poorly with many wide and rangefinder lenses. But it works great on both my NEX-3 and 5R bodies.

captura's gear list:captura's gear list
Canon EF 50mm f/1.8 STM
Post (hide subjects) Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow