While I'm waiting for the 18.5 to arrive...

Started May 25, 2013 | Discussions thread
Shop cameras & lenses ▾
Flat view
André BARELIER Veteran Member • Posts: 7,409
While I'm waiting for the 18.5 to arrive...

Thanks to the good info you've provided to me here, I ordered the 18.5, which should be here soon.

Meanwhile, I use the 30-110 for some concert shots (just for fun, I'm not a pro).

It's a very good lens, but of course, a bit slow for the job.

Nevertheless, IMO, I achieve acceptable results, like in the following pictures, shot at a superb flamenco concert in Marseilles, yesterday.

The only thing I can't deal with are blown highlights.

The pictures are not razor sharp and noise free. But I don't care. I like her expression.

I didn't use exposure compensation, and the highlights could not be recovered. The picture were shot in raw, and I tried ACR5, DxO 8, Capture NX2, but when it's blown, it's blown...

BTW, I found a suitable way (for me) to use auto iso in low light.

I set the camera to S mode, and choose the SS which I find fast enough for the scene, and set iso to auto.

That's better than using M mode, because in M mode you cannot use exposure compensation, while ou can in S mode.

I should have done it this time, but, well, I'm experimenting...

Just one more thing: the V1 CDAF did a good job. The time to acquire focus is not that low (much faster than the P7100 I used before, but not as fast as the D90, of course).

I prefocus, and wait. Thanks to the almost non existent shutter lag, and large DOF, I get sharp pictures, and the pictures I want (well, almost...)

All pictures are taken in single shot mode. No burst mode used. Maybe I should try burst mode next time. What do you think?

C&C welcome.

-- hide signature --
 André BARELIER's gear list:André BARELIER's gear list
Nikon Coolpix P7100 Nikon Coolpix P7800 Nikon 1 V1 Nikon D7100 Nikon D3300 +8 more
Nikon 1 V1 Nikon Coolpix P7100 Nikon D90
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
Flat view
Post (hide subjects) Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow