Why are DSLRs left home 90.2% of the time

Started May 22, 2013 | Discussions thread
Christoph Stephan
Christoph Stephan Veteran Member • Posts: 4,232
Re: Well, I'll counter the Oly ad with a Canon Ad

ianbrown wrote:

DSLR design and technology has really struggled to keep up in the last 5 years whilst others have been developing cutting edge technology. To be honest I have had canon and nikon DSLR's over the years but they appear to be a bit long in the tooth.

BUT, if you are a professional or are being paid for your work then DSLR's still have a place and people paying for their photo's expect to see pro gear.

For me I would call myself a reasonably good photographer but not a pro. The problem I have had is looking at my photo's I can honestly say over 90% of them could have been captured with a decent compact camera system. For example, visits to Venice, London, Lake Garda, New York, Vegas and the Grand Canyon could have all been taken with a good compact system. For example my images below didnt need a FF camera. That's why I think the compact will achieve "most" of what I need 90% of the time.

Excellent pics!

Not sure whether you could have achieved them with a lesser camera than a full frame.

On the other hand, you might have saved a lot of money if you have sticked with one of them rather than having a collection of the latest Canon and Nikon full frame DSLRs.

Christoph Stephan's gear list:Christoph Stephan's gear list
Canon EOS 20D Canon EOS 40D Canon EF-S 17-85mm f/4-5.6 IS USM Canon EF-S 60mm f/2.8 Macro USM Tamron AF 28-300mm F/3.5-6.3 XR Di VC LD Aspherical (IF) Macro
Post (hide subjects) Posted by
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow