D7100 - Niagara Falls Butterfly Conservatory

Started May 23, 2013 | Discussions thread
OP RudyPohl Veteran Member • Posts: 5,200
Re: D7100 - Niagara Falls Butterfly Conservatory

hiro_pro wrote:

Great shots.  i love 4 for the focus.  it just seems like such an intimate shot of the bug.  the last one is also one of the best.

your shots are better than my bug shots by far.  however, I would like to see the shots at f 5.6-8.  i feel like just a little more depth of field to bring the flowers they are feeding on into focus might help tell the story.

-- hide signature --

d7000
tamron 17-50 f2.8
sigma 70-200 f2.8

Hi Hiro:

Thanks for your feedback, and yes, next time I go I will use a greater depth of field for the reason you mentioned.

I don't have a macro lens and this was really the first time I tried using this one extensively. It is the Nikon 35mm f/2. The lighting was quite challenging in that it was quite dark in many of the spots in the building so the ISO was all over the place. Also, it was essentially a greenhouse so all outside walls were glass and back lighting was a constant problem to over come. Lots of fun trying to get some decent shots under the circumstances. It's 6 hours from my home so I only get to go every few years.

Cheers,

Rudy

Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow