Lens for landscape photography with Full Frame?

Started May 21, 2013 | Questions thread
qianp2k Forum Pro • Posts: 10,350
Re: Lens for landscape photography with Full Frame?

billythek wrote:

ILeicaPictures wrote:

Thank you for your reply. I'm looking for a lens in addition to the Samyang 14mm. I have a good Manfrotto tripod. However, it is not always practical to take it along because of the weight. Lately, I have a renewed interest in pictures with good bokeh and hence, the fast lens.

Definitely start with the Samyang 14mm.  It is the best bang for the buck out there.  And get the lens profile for LR to fix the distortion.

My other suggestions are probably outside your price range: 24-70II, Zeiss 21, TS-E 17 or 24.

Agreed. I picked up 17 TS-E for UWA shooting. Sure I need a bit more time to prepare shots including hand-held but its IQ is better than any UWA lens from edge to edge in average sharpness, actually wider than at least 16mm or would close to 14mm after fixing the vertical perspective (that I always do now as converging verticals simply look ugly), very little distortion. 24-70L II can compete to any 24mm lenses including 24 TS-E II at 24mm (but latter is wider after fixing vertical perspective, therefore I sold 24 TS-E II and bought 17 TS-E for UW shooting purpose) to 70mm (as sharp as but L primes are still better in bokeh and can shoot below F2.8). I sold 17-40L short ago despite it's a pretty good zoom (except relative soft edges/corners). I can live in the gap between 17 and 24mm.

You might check out the new tilt-shift lens from Samyang.  I heard they are pre-ordering, but don't know if they are shipping yet.

Lensrentals has a quick review of Samyang 24mm TS-E recently that is very good. It's much cheaper than Canon copy. In the holiday season that usually has the best price, you can get Canon 24 TS-E II around $1800 (I bought $1809 from Adoroma in Dec 2011) and can get a used copy around $1700 in eBay.  So the difference is smaller than one with list price.  Canon version is still better at F3.5 wide open and likely has better build quality and durability but Samyang version is close when stop down. Nevertheless so far Canon 17mm TS-E is unique and no competitors.

-- hide signature --

- Bill

-- hide signature --
Post (hide subjects) Posted by
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
BAK
(unknown member)
BAK
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow