Lens for landscape photography with Full Frame?

Started May 21, 2013 | Questions thread
brightcolours Forum Pro • Posts: 14,865
Re: Level of understanding

Collett wrote:

brightcolours wrote:

ILeicaPictures wrote:

Thank you BAK.

BAK wrote:

As I read these points, I wonder just how much you know.

How much do I know about what?

1. I have the 24-105. Love the picture quality, but want to see if I can get anything better.

2. I also have the Canon 50mm F1.8. Not that impressed with the color tones.

3. I'm planning to buy a Samyang 14mm. I've seen good reviews on it. The manual focus is something I'd prefer (I also own a Fujifilm X-E1 and am planning to use it with the Samyang).

Thoughts:

We have not been told what your end result is, but for 16x20 or smaller prints of landscapes, you won't get anything better than the 24-105, used properly.

Perhaps you are right and that was exactly my question - is there anything better than 24-105.

The comment about 50mm colors makes no sense. Digital photography is designed to allow tiny, tiny modifications in color, much more precise and much more easily than with dozens of different films.

I'll try to explain. Some lenses such as the 24-105 and even my 100-400 produce colors that are quite close to reality (or my perception of it anyway). I don't get the same effect from the 50mm f1.8. Perhaps I had a bad copy. I am not trying to put the 50mm f1.8; just saying that my experience isn't as good. I did speak to a photographer who runs a store and his feedback was that instead, the 50mm f1.4 produces beautiful colors.

The 50mm f1,8 is not very contrasty, and a tad "cold". It is not strange you are not grabbed by its colours. I never like that lens much either, but of course in post processing one can improve its output and make it look really impressive.

But we don't know what form the image is in when you look at these colors that don't impress you. Prints? What kindofpaper? Computers? With calibrated monitors? What is the room light like?

I understand the reason for these questions. However, this is not a criteria I am considering. The needs vary. Sometimes small prints, sometimes very large, sometimes just a dell monitor in a room with "normal" lighting.

And 14mm is awfully wide for landscapes. You need a huge print in order to get elements in a landscape big enough to actually see.

Thanks. That is really good feedback and something I need to consider. Perhaps I can use this lens on the Fuji X-E1 with a 1.5 crop factor.

It will make that Fuji, which would shine because of its small size/weight, big and heavy. Odd idea.

ANYWAY: the just-discontinued 35mm f2 lens is great for so-called full frame landscapes.

Thank you. Could you please expand on this ? What aspects of the 35mm f2 did you particularly like?

The Canon EF 35mm f2 is a nice lens. It has smooth bokeh for close ups, and is relatively light and small. however, I would not recommend it for FF landscape stuff as its extreme corners on FF leaves a bit to be desired. Better suited for street photography of the corners are not attention grabbing.

Better suited will be its follow up, the Canon EF 35mm f2 IS USM. Better in the corners, a bit more contrasty and a tad nicer colours. Whether 35mm is wide enough for you, you can test with your 24-105mm.

Other candidates (obviously) and the new EF 28mm f2.8 IS USM, and 24mm f2.8 IS USM. Again, you can test the focal length with your current lens.

Another lens, a little longer, is the Canon EF 40mm f2.8 STM.

If you want wider than your current 24-105mm lens, then look at the Voigtlander 20mm f3.5 SLII. Nicer than most reviews lead you to believe, and especially stopped down to/past f5,6 it really shines, Unusually contrasty. MF only, but that should not be a problem at all. And lovely build quality.

Does the Voigtlander 20mm in Canon mount have electronic coupling for metering and focus confirmation like Zeiss MF lenses?

Canon cameras do not need coupling for metering. I do not own this lens yet, but the Canon versions do not have the aperture rings the Nikon versions have, so the aperture is camera controlled. And the lens does support focus confirmation.

Looks like an interesting option.  How is the corner sharpness at F5.6 on FF? Do you have any images you could show on FF?

While the lens does not measure super impressively in the corners, in practice it seems to perform really nicely due to its low CA and very high contrast.

I have heard of this lens before and it looks interesting.  Thanks for bringing it up again because I forgot about it.

BAK

-- hide signature --

Jim

Post (hide subjects) Posted by
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
BAK
(unknown member)
BAK
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow