Lens for landscape photography with Full Frame?

Started May 21, 2013 | Questions thread
OP ILeicaPictures Junior Member • Posts: 34
Re: Lens for landscape photography with Full Frame?

Thank you Paulo.

biza43 wrote:

ILeicaPictures wrote:

Hello Everyone,

I have a 5DII and am looking for a good lens for landscape pictures. I would appreciate any guidance that the experienced photographers can provide. My criteria:

1. Should be prime

2. Inexpensive

3. Good Very good colors

4. Ideally fast - aperture of 2.8 or more.

5. At least as wide as 35mm.

Some additional information:

1. I have the 24-105. Love the picture quality, but want to see if I can get anything better.

You will get better results by using the tripod you already have. I see a point in shooting during the golden hour, when the light is low, you need a lens faster than f/4 (the zoom you currently have). But it is not easy to get successful landscape photos shot at or near wide open, you really need a strong subject that warrants isolation from the rest of the image components.

I agree with you 100%. However, the 24-105 is not cutting it for me unless I have the aperture around f7.1 or f8. Not sure if there's a lens out there that might be good at, say, f4 or 5.6?

2. I also have the Canon 50mm F1.8. Not that impressed with the color tones.

Perhaps get Lightroom and learn how to use the Hue, Saturation, and Luminosity sliders?

Yes, I do have LR. I'd like to spend less time on PP and more on photography

3. I'm planning to buy a Samyang 14mm. I've seen good reviews on it. The manual focus is something I'd prefer (I also own a Fujifilm X-E1 and am planning to use it with the Samyang).

4. Not a pixel peeper. My focus is on good colors.

5. Would like to do minimal post processing.

6. I love to take pictures during the golden hour. And hence, would ideally prefer a fast lens.

Does such a lens exist? If yes, I'd really appreciate your feedback.

Regards,

S

A new lens will not replace any of the above points that you are not willing to invest time to learn and develop skills.

I agree. For me, learning is a continuous process.

-- hide signature --

www.paulobizarro.com

Post (hide subjects) Posted by
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
BAK
(unknown member)
BAK
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow