Advise on EF24-105mm f/4L IS USM and EF24-70mm f/2.8L II USM

Started Apr 4, 2013 | Questions thread
GMak New Member • Posts: 11
Re: Advise on EF24-105mm f/4L IS USM and EF24-70mm f/2.8L II USM

To answer this question one would have to own both lenses, which I don't. I own the 24 – 70 mm F2 .8 L USM, the previous version of this lens. It gives fantastic results. Very sharp, very balanced. I probably use this lens  most of the time for most general situations. If there is one lens I had to grab I would grab this one. I originally had some less than sharp results when I first bought it but send it into Cannon for micro focus adjustments. Now it renders some of the sharpest photos I have with any of my lenses. I can only imagine that version II of this lens is just as good, maybe  better with some updates, although I can't think of anything other than making it lighter, maybe a little smaller. Is that worth me trading in my current lens for a new one? No way! I have great confidence in this lens.  The new version of the lens takes a larger filter which is problematic. The older lens takes the more common 77 mm filters. As a lens category you really need this in your bag. Here's a thought: see what the prices are on a used 24 – 70  millimeter 2.8 L lens is. You could probably get it at a quarter of the price of the new series 2 lens. You could probably save a bundle and have a fabulous lens. Hope this helps.

Post (hide subjects) Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow