Please define "pixel peeping".

Started May 14, 2013 | Discussions thread
richardplondon
richardplondon Forum Pro • Posts: 10,894
Re: Similar to not seeing the forest for the trees

I believe "the whole is morethan the sum of it's parts" .... I look at the whole and if to my eyes that whole is good, I couldn't care less if there is CA at a pixel level or whatever other issues pixel-peepers look for.  I'm therefore committing a "photographic sin" and am "ignorant".  No worries here.  

Perhaps we can think of this, on the analogy of a musician who spends some of the time in the practice room - playing scales, working out fingering / breaths / phrasing whatever, studying the score - and spends some of the time on stage performing the music.

Someone who only ever worked on the scales and exercises, might become in time a very good technician - but that alone cannot make a rounded, insightful musician, who audiences will pay to see.

On the other hand, someone who refused to enter the practice room at all, might thus be left free to spend 100% of the time performing music... not very well, and never finding out why that was.

So we have two quite separate, but complementary and necessary, kinds of skill.

RP

richardplondon's gear list:richardplondon's gear list
Panasonic LX10 Pentax K-5 Sigma 10-20mm F4-5.6 EX DC HSM Pentax smc DA 21mm F3.2 AL Limited Pentax smc DA 70mm F2.4 AL Limited +7 more
Post (hide subjects) Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow