Please define "pixel peeping".

Started May 14, 2013 | Discussions thread
dsjtecserv Veteran Member • Posts: 3,765
Re: Similar to not seeing the forest for the trees

leno wrote:

dsjtecserv wrote:

Gary Fischman wrote:

Pixel peeping is the questionable practice of worrying about individual pixels of an image, and not actually looking at the image itself.

Actually, its the ability to see both the forest and the trees, and use both inputs to optimize the quality of the results.

Dave

No Pixel peeping is only applied to those who have lost perspective and not rational about what they are looking at.

Then it is, by your description, a tautology. Pixel peeping isn't looking at pixels, its looking at pixels more than I would. Kind of like saying that anyone who drives slower than me is a piker, while anyone who drives faster than me is a wacko.

In fact, inspection of both a picture as a whole, and at various levels of detail, is a very good way to judge the quality of the image, as well as the characteristics of the system that produced it. An image is comprised of details, and the quality and properties of those details affect the final image. Dismissing the use of 100% viewing as a component of image evaluation, or to learn more about the equipment or processes that made it, is itself a photographic sin, and could be equated with glorifying ignorance.

Dave

dsjtecserv's gear list:dsjtecserv's gear list
Canon EOS 5DS R Canon EF 17-40mm f/4.0L USM Canon EF 100mm F2.8L Macro IS USM Canon TS-E 24mm f/3.5L II Canon EF 24-105mm f/4L IS USM +4 more
Post (hide subjects) Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow