Creativity vs. IQ ... Which one has more weight?

Started May 13, 2013 | Discussions thread
John1940
John1940 Senior Member • Posts: 2,755
Re: Creativity vs. IQ ... Which one has more weight?

Daisy AU wrote:

John1940 wrote:

Daisy AU wrote:

Biggs23 wrote:

Daisy AU wrote:

Hi All,

I was wondering what you all think regarding the following:  Let's say that someone takes a very nice shot, interesting, with good composition, pleasing colours, creative, etc. BUT the image is somewhat noisy, not tack sharp, etc. .. i.e. the IQ is not what you would consider good.

Would you dismiss that photograph because of all the inferior technical aspects, or would you still consider it good work and worthy of acknowledgement / appreciation?

I personally place more importance on the composition and creativity than the IQ.

Any opinions?

Depends on the image. If it's captivating enough IQ may not matter whatsoever. If it's on the verge of interesting IQ may matter a lot.

Why would IQ then become important? I don't understand the correlation

That sort of score keeping occurs all over the place, especially if there are no fixed rules, i.e., only judgement calls.

You'd have to assign a lower weight to IQ in order to reduce the advantage of a D800E and a pro  prime lens compared to an older camera such as a D700 and a travel 18-200 zoom lens set to the same equivalent focal length.

And, then there's the light level issue, and the tripod thing, ...

John1940

... but what if you have no way of knowing which camera and lens that image was captured with? How do you then assess the weight of creativity vs. IQ?

You'd just have to give IQ a lower weight so that the D800E offers little advantage. If you set the IQ weight to zero then you may allow very blurry (but artistic) pictures to win.

John1940

John1940's gear list:John1940's gear list
Sigma DP3 Merrill
Post (hide subjects) Posted by
MOD Biggs23
fad
fad
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow