Question+Review: Black Rapid RS-Sport
I've owned the BR RS-Sport strap for nearly a year now and thought I'd share my thoughts on it along with a few questions for fellow users.
*Easy storage & portability: this strap folds up nicely and is easy to store & transport in my camera bag.
*Nice bumper system that locks the camera into place when you need it to stay in one place
*Easy to combine with Manfrotto RC2 plates for quick change from strap to tripod mounting
*Strap slides very little (mostly none-at-all) when you bring the camera up and down.
*Relatively comfortable to wear without fear of dropping your gear (caveat in cons below)
*When you pull the camera up to shoot vertically, especially if you have a grip installed, you'll notice that it's just a little bit tight and doesn't quite give you enough room to pull the camera right up to your face or if you're shooting upward. Not a deal breaker since it's just barely too tight.
*When you're walking, the camera swings back & forth and knocks against your leg or in my case my car keys which are fastened to my belt with a carabiner. Again, not a deal breaker, but other straps have an adjustment slider that shortens the strap just a little on the fly.
*The shoulder pad, while comfortable enough for a 2 hour or so quick shoot, can get a bit uncomfortable on a full day, or if you have a 70-200 telephoto attached. I really wish the pad was made of neoprene instead, like the CS version.
With all these points in mind, I can absolutely recommend the RS Sport strap. However, I do see other options out there that might be a slightly better choice. And herein lies my questions.
I'm very interested in getting the Carry Speed FS-Pro strap. However, there are things that concern me about this product.
1) I have heard cases where the nylon mesh will detach from the neoprene pad (because they're sown together).
2) The FS-1 mounting plate seems to have a foldable ball point that allows you to lay the camera down flat on a tabletop should you choose to. But I'm wondering if I can get a CustomSLR universal mounting plate and then simply attach the ball point of the CS strap onto the CustomSLR universal plate instead.
Or, even better, could I simply take the ball point of the CS strap, dump the mounting plate altogether, and then thread that ball point through the RC2 plate that I currently have?
- Canon EOS M58.8%
- Panasonic G85/G803.3%
- Panasonic FZ2500/FZ20001.9%
- Panasonic LX10/LX151.2%
- Panasonic GH5 development3.6%
- Sony a99 II15.9%
- Nikon KeyMission 170 and 801.0%
- Fujifilm GFX 50S development28.3%
- Olympus E-M1 II development18.7%
- Olympus E-PL80.1%
- Olympus 25mm F1.2 Pro1.5%
- Olympus 12-100mm F4 IS Pro1.9%
- Olympus 30mm F3.5 Macro0.1%
- Sigma 85mm F1.4 Art3.6%
- Sigma 12-24mm F4 Art2.6%
- Sigma 500mm F4 DG OS HSM Sport2.4%
- YI M12.2%
- GoPro Hero50.8%
- GoPro Karma drone2.2%