Is 1 stop worth $1200 to you?

Started May 10, 2013 | Discussions thread
Richard Veteran Member • Posts: 4,858
Yes, AF is the key

For a 1dmk4 the af is better on the 2.8 lens, not just because of better access to cross sensors but more light comes into the camera to detect focus in low light scenarios. Read below. Also narrower DOF and less noise when shooting in a stadium. I shoot 1600 or 3200 in a stadium low light for fast moving sports. In this situation I would rather have the ability to shoot at ISO 800-1600, more cross sensors, more light for AF and shalower dof.  So yes I own the image stabilized 70-200 2.8 I think BIF is similar when shooting in lower light but if you don't need these things than maybe you can get away with f4.

When used with an f/2.8 or faster lens, and Manual AF point selection, 39 of the AF points will act as cross-type points. The remaining six AF points will act as horizontal –line sensitive only. Cross-type points offer superior focus performance when compared to horizontal-only or vertical-only type AF points.

When AF point selection is Automatic, the number of AF points acting as cross-type will decrease to 19. The remaining 26 will act as horizontal –line sensitive only.

When used with an f/4.0 lens only the centre point will act as a cross-type high-precision type. The remaining 44 points will function as horizontal-line sensitive only. There are five lenses/combinations that are exceptions to this rule though and they are listed below.

• Canon EF 17-40mm f/4L USM
  • Canon EF 24-105mm f/4L IS USM
  • Canon EF 200mm f/2.0 IS USM plus Extender EF1.4x II
  • Canon EF 70-200mm f/2.8 IS USM plus Extender EF 1.4x II
  • Canon EF 300mm f/2.8 IS USM plus Extender EF1.4x II
  • Canon EF 400mm f/2.8 IS USM plus Extender EF1.4x II

With these lens or lens/extender combinations, 39 AF points will act as cross-type points, and the 6 remaining points will act as horizontal-line sensitive only.

When used with an f/5.6 lens all the AF points will act as horizontal-line sensitive only.

When used with a lens/extender combination with an aperture of f/8.0, only the centre AF point will work as a horizontal-line sensitive point. The remaining 44 AF points will not function for autofocus.

Hank3152 wrote:

After having both f/4IS and f/2.8IS II versions of the 70-200 for a year, I decided to keep the former and sell the latter

Post (hide subjects) Posted by
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow