24mp sensor for m43? 3.2micron pixel pitch!

Started May 9, 2013 | Discussions thread
tedolf
tedolf Forum Pro • Posts: 25,878
NEX 6 looks.......

oklaphotog wrote:

seachicken2000 wrote:

oklaphotog wrote:

But if those were iso 3200 files, the 24mp Nex-7 file would show more noise as we're slightly pushing both files past their original size.

I find I get similar quality high ISO images from my 16 and 24M pixel NEXs (using Lightroom).

For example below (the best I could do from the DPR RAWs for each image) at ISO3200 I'd say the NEX-7 image has about the same level of noise, but it's finer grained, and the image is a touch more detailed.

-- hide signature --

"The only thing that gets in the way of a really good photograph, is the camera"
Norman Parkinson

But this doesn't really show it, you've picked a bright area of the scene instead of the shadows where the differences are much greater on any camera. Also you have used noise reduction. Most people going for ultimate image quality will use 0 luminance and try to stay away from more than 25 color and trade a little grain for better resolution.

For many of us we run from NR, as quick as possible. Here's a more realistic scenario between the two in the shadows. Left image is from the nex-6 uprez'd to the same size as the nex-7 which is on the right. ISO 3200 and no noise reduction. This shows what is really going on in the sensor.

ISO 3200 Nex-6 on left scaled up to the same size as Nex-7 on the right.

Not a huge difference, but it is there. Probably a stop or so.

better.

More like film.

NEX 7 looks digital.

Tedolph

tedolf's gear list:tedolf's gear list
Olympus PEN E-P5 Olympus M.Zuiko Digital ED 9-18mm F4.0-5.6 Olympus M.Zuiko Digital ED 40-150mm 1:4-5.6 Olympus M.Zuiko Digital 14-42mm 1:3.5-5.6 II R Samyang 7.5mm F3.5 UMC Fisheye MFT +8 more
Post (hide subjects) Posted by
GBC
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow