Lens dilemma: Multiple Primes vs Standard zoom

Started May 6, 2013 | Discussions thread
mu55 Senior Member • Posts: 1,397
Re: Lens dilemma: Multiple Primes vs Standard zoom

please excuse my laziness of not ready any other comments to see if this has already been said.
If you found your 15-85 to be a useful lens then your going to be better served by a standard zoom. I think this is a road most people go down - start with the primes then conclude that swapping lenses is a pain and a zoom in their most used range is often a better choice for many circumstances.
When i was a pentax user i had a 21mm, 30mm 2.8, 43mm 1.9, 50 1.4, 100 2.8, 200 f4, 70-200 f4 and a few others that weren't even sharp enough to mention. When i switched to Canon i knew that i'd prefer a standard range zoom, I got the 24-105mm and 70-300 IS, then got a 28-70L and 135L, just got the new 24-70Lmk2 and looking at getting a 70-200 f4 IS, and i've been through many lenses in between.
While i highly recommend a standard zoom over a couple of primes i do also own a 50L and love it to bits - it's about knowing when to use each one i guess...

mu55's gear list:mu55's gear list
Ricoh GR Canon EOS 5D Canon EOS 5D Mark III Canon EOS 6D Canon EOS 5D Mark IV +11 more
Post (hide subjects) Posted by
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow