EPL5 vs EPL3 vs EPM2 You have helped me b4, I am going to buy tomorrow

Started May 10, 2013 | Questions thread
sderdiarian Veteran Member • Posts: 4,229
Re: EPL5 vs EPL3 vs EPM2 You have helped me b4, I am going to buy tomorrow

jalywol wrote:

Between the EPM2 and EPL5.....I (briefly) had an EPL5 and did not care for it; could not get it comfortable in my hand and I kept accidentally knocking the mode dial.  Photo quality was great, though.

I decided to give the EPM2 a try, though, as the grip is a little different and it is just a little bit lighter in weight (and no mode dial to accidentally knock out of place...since I shoot about 95% in Aperture priority, for me, the mode dial is not essential on a very small body like this...YMMV of course).  So far, I am very impressed with it.  It's tiny, the rear screen is visible even in daylight, and Oly corrected a few things in earlier models that make using this one much improved.

It's a surprisingly nice camera, and if you plan to get an EVF, those tilt, so non-tilt screen is not a giant deal.

E-PM2 weighs 20% less than the E-PL5 (granted, that's only a 2 oz. difference) and at its current $420 price, costs close to 30% less, yet in all image quality respects is identical in performance.  What you get for the additional weight and $$ in the E-PL5 are a tilt screen, drive mode dial, removable grip and different styling.Up to you how much these matter.

As a primary camera I'd lean towards the E-PL5, as a second body to an E-M5 I'd save the money and get the E-PM2.  Also keep in mind based on Olympus product cycles both will be replaced in a few months and discounts offered soon afterwards.

Question to users: is the IBIS in either of these any better than the last generation's (which was basically an advertising gimmick and non-existent)?

-- hide signature --

Sailin' Steve

sderdiarian's gear list:sderdiarian's gear list
Panasonic Lumix DMC-GM1 Olympus OM-D E-M10 II Panasonic Lumix G 20mm F1.7 ASPH Olympus M.Zuiko Digital ED 60mm 1:2.8 Macro Olympus M.Zuiko ED 75-300mm 1:4.8-6.7 II +1 more
Post (hide subjects) Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow