From first effort at street.

Started May 9, 2013 | Discussions thread
eques Senior Member • Posts: 2,672
Re: drop the zoom

sigala1 wrote:

dave rogers wrote:

sigala1 wrote:

Bassam Guy wrote:

"Not street photography"? I see a street to the left and a sidewalk in the foreground. What could be more "street"? Please explain to us, he who defines the term "street", how the lens type (zoom/wide/tele) is important. It would be best if you gave us a clear definition and a list so that we can comply.

"Street photography" has a more specific meaning than a photograph taken of a street or on a street or where you can see a street in the foreground or background.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Street_photography

In the immortal words of The Dude: "Yeah, well, you know, that's just, like, your opinion, man."

Abide.

No, it's NOT my opinion, the phrase "street photography" has a generally understood meaning in the fine-art photography community.

It should also be noted that the OP was familiar enough with the existence of the genre to make his photo black and white and name the thread based on the genre, so let's not play dumb here.

What game is this?

sigala1 - thanks for the link to Wikipedia, you provided in your earlier post.

I read this article and found, that according to Wikipedia everyone in the earlier posts here is right but you. Street photography neither presupposes B&W nor WA lenses.

Street photography takes place in a public place and shows people in interesting / telling / revealing situations. And the OP has shown an example of SPh, no doubt.

I know, many excellent street photography is done in B&W and with WA lenses, but this is not a necessary condition.

However, SPh is a form of candid photographyx and thus by definition intrudes upon the privacy of the people photographed.
So the qualms of the OP are easily understandable.

Peter.

eques's gear list:eques's gear list
Ricoh GR Panasonic Lumix DMC-GX7 Panasonic Lumix G 20mm F1.7 ASPH Olympus M.Zuiko Digital ED 40-150mm 1:4-5.6 R Samyang 7.5mm F3.5 UMC Fisheye MFT +3 more
Post (hide subjects) Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow