Started May 8, 2013 | Discussions thread
David Hull
David Hull Veteran Member • Posts: 6,101
Re: What we need vs what we want

rattymouse wrote:

David Hull wrote:

gfspencer wrote:

Wellington100 wrote:

If we base our gear on what our final output is and are truthful with ourselves, then we end up with what I am currently using most of the time, which is a $100 compact superzoom and iPhoto.

That is so true.  A Point & Shoot and iPhoto would more than meet my needs when I consider my final output BUT I am one of those unfortunate souls who likes to collect gear.  I bought and paid for my cameras and lenses.  They are mine.  I bought and paid for the computers I use.  They are mine.  Up until now I had the opportunity to buy and pay for the software that I use.  Software that I rent on a monthly basis is not mine.

You never "owned" the SW, you weren't even renting the SW. What you owned was a an open ended license to use that particular version of the SW and that is all. Yes you own your car, your home, your computer perhaps but you never OWNED Photoshop. People on these threads need to understand this, read the EULA that comes with the SW package. The only thing they are changing is that the license is no longer open ended WRT time. It makes a lot of sense actually and it is actually standard practice in the SW tool industry. The only issue is that the license price is too high for the individual noncommercial user. They will solve that (or someone else will).

Splitting hairs, makes NO difference at all.  For all purposes, I OWN Photoshop CS3. No one can take it away from me.

What you OWN is a license to use CS3 for as long as you want to (or can). However, once you cannot use it (OS changes, New Camera, etc.), which will happen eventually, you will need to solve that. At that time, for all practical purposes, it is no different than your one year license running out under the new proposed model.

I am so used to operating under the "one year license" model that I have no problem with this except that in this case, I have to write the check personally and I think the cost is too high for me as an individual user.  As a result I will certainly look for an alternative -- probably sooner, not later.

Overall, I think this is a good move for Adobe, it is good for Photoshop, it is just not good for me obviously because it now makes me take a look at that yearly cost and ask how much do I really need the tool.  At $240/yr that answer will probably be that I don’t.

-- hide signature --

9 years of Fujifilm camera usage, ended by rampant fanboyism.

-- hide signature --
 David Hull's gear list:David Hull's gear list
Canon EOS 5D Mark III Canon EOS M5
Post (hide subjects) Posted by
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
MOD Biggs23
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow