I would recommend all primes.

The combo that I like is:

EF 24mm f/2.8 IS USM

EF 40mm f/2.8 STM

EF 85mm f/1.8 USM

EF 135mm F/2 L USM

EF 200mm F/2.8 L USM

or even without the lovely 135mm.

Those lenses are light, compact, fast-focussing, black, and sharp.

I currently own and use on a 5D and a 30D:

EF 24mm f/2.8 (older one)

EF 40mm f/2.8 STM

EF 50mm f/1.8 (considering selling this one.)

EF 85mm f/1.8 USM

EF 200mm f/2.8 L USM

EF 400mm f/5.6 L USM

and a 18-55mm IS lens that my wife likes when she uses the 30D.  This combination works very well for me for family, concert, outdoor sports, wildlife, aviation, and bird photography.  The two different frame options make these lenses almost doubly useful.  The 200 f2.8L is a fantastic lens that really rocks the concert photos as well as wildlife for larger/closer animals.  Think long and hard before you sell that one. The 40mm combines nicely with a 25mm extension tube for almost 1x macro shots.   I also like the way that the focal lengths of my lenses almost double, especially if I sell my 50 1.8 I lens.  I bought all these lenses used except for the 40mm.

I have owned several zooms in the past, such as 28-105mm f/3.5-4.5 USM, 100-300mm f/4.5-5.6 USM, 28-135 IS USM, EFS 17-85 IS USM but have sold them as the photos I took with them were not as pleasing as my prime lenses.  I also didn't like the aperture ranges of these zooms.  I do realize that there are zooms with a nicer aperture, but they are very costly in comparison with these primes.

Best wishes with your decisions.

Jim

Jimbo Limbo's gear list:Jimbo Limbo's gear list
Canon EOS 5D Canon EOS 50D Canon EF 24mm f/2.8 Canon EF 85mm f/1.8 USM Canon EF 200mm f/2.8L II USM +7 more
Post (hide subjects) Posted by
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow