Lens dilemma: Multiple Primes vs Standard zoom

Started May 6, 2013 | Discussions thread
(unknown member) Veteran Member • Posts: 5,018
Re: Lens dilemma: Multiple Primes vs Standard zoom

ot73 wrote:

one year ago, i did the switch from zoom (24-105 on canon 5d2) to prime lens.

everyone is talking about the IQ, the DOF...but you forgot the most importent thing for an hobbyist - FUN!

i have 35 1.4 and 100 2 for family, street etc. and its great combo.

for travelling/hiking with my family im using 24 2.8 (old one) 40 2.8 and tokina 17 3.5 (rare).

im not taking all the prime lens with me - just 2-3.

i really like to just pull my camera out and shoot, without moving the zoom.

sometimes i miss some shoots with the prime, but most of the time i really enjoying taking pictures with them!

what im saying is that do what makes you happy - its an hobby!

I totally agree.  That said, there are occasions like an event, party, wedding or the like where I will not go w/o a standard zoom mounted.  If I need to get shots under timing constraints or shots of people under a wide range of condition, I use the 24-70L.

If I want to be more creative, experiment, take some more time on shots, and as you say - have fun - then I also prefer primes. I also like being forced to make one FL work for a shot. For travel or outdoors scenic photography I can often get away with just the Canon 24mmF2.8 prime and the 50mm in my bag. The 35mmF1.4 Sigma is a compelling alternate, but often not wide enough and kinda heavy for carrying long distances.

-- hide signature --

Post (hide subjects) Posted by
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow