Lens dilemma: Multiple Primes vs Standard zoom

Started May 6, 2013 | Discussions thread
biza43 Veteran Member • Posts: 8,292
Re: Lens dilemma: Multiple Primes vs Standard zoom

This really depends... on what you intend to shoot, and on your personal style and preference. I think there is no need to obsess and have numerous prime lenses to cover all the possible mm... keep it simple, really practice with one or two lenses, know your subjects, know yourself.

Primes can not substitute for the convenience of a zoom lens; zooms can not substitute for the speed of fast primes. These are obvious points, but often forgoten; they are much more important than discussing minute shaprness/etc differences that no one can see in the end result.

For example, for me, one of the reasons to buy a 6D was the image quality, and the bright VF. For this, and because I shoot landscapes, I bought a prime lens, the Zeiss 25 ZE. This lens is f/2, so the VF is indeed bright and wonderful. Then, I also shoot macro, so I have the 100 macro IS on the 60D. What about the gap between the two lenses? Not a problem for me, that range I only miss for travel/documentary photographyt, and for that I have the EOS M with 22mm and 18-55mm lenses.

-- hide signature --

www.paulobizarro.com

biza43's gear list:biza43's gear list
Sony Alpha a7 Sony Alpha a7 II Fujifilm X-Pro2 Sony FE 70-200 F4 Zeiss Loxia 21mm F2.8 +2 more
Post (hide subjects) Posted by
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow