Lens dilemma: Multiple Primes vs Standard zoom

Started May 6, 2013 | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
Doug_PS
Doug_PS Contributing Member • Posts: 801
Lens dilemma: Multiple Primes vs Standard zoom

I'm at a bit of a cross-road with my lens collection and can go into a couple of different directions. Hoping for a bit of advice from those that have had the same choices:

Last December I moved from a crop (50D) to full frame (5DMKII). I've sold my EF-S lenses (15-85 and 60mm Macro) to help fund lenses for the 5D. My dilemma is whether to go with a zoom for the standard range or primes. Here are the lenses I have currently:

• EF200 f/2.8L
  • EF135 f/2.0L (keeping regardless of the option I choose below)
  • EF85 f/1.8

So, you can see my "normal" range is completely open. I can go in any direction. I also recently bought a 40mm pancake for $149 as a stop-gap for a normal lens (can easily sell without taking much of a hit).

I primarily use my lenses for travel and for portraits and indoor shots when at home. No kids or other fast moving objects to speak of that I typially shoot (ie with a camera !). I'm also addicted to shallow depth of field.

I just rented the following two lenses as a serious option to complete the normal range:

• Sigma 34 f1/.4
  • Canon EF 24 f/2.8 IS

I'm very impressed with both of these lenses. The Sigma is a phenomenal lens and the 24 2.8 IS is very good and very light. I'm seriously considering pulling the trigger on this combo. If I do, the 24, 35, 85 combo could cover the "normalish" range.

The other option is to sell the 85 1.8 and get the Canon EF 24-70 MKII and use it as a single lens option for this range. I'd possibly sell the 200 f/2.8 too (used too infrequently)

The cost of both options is roughly equal. Which way to go?

Doug_PS's gear list:Doug_PS's gear list
Canon EOS 7D Mark II Canon EOS 5D Mark IV Canon EOS M6 Canon EF 400mm f/5.6L USM Canon EF 100mm f/2.8L Macro IS USM +9 more
Canon EOS 5D
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
Post (hide subjects) Posted by
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow