RX200...too good to be true?

Started May 6, 2013 | Discussions thread
cplunk Senior Member • Posts: 1,833
Re: My only complains about the rx100 wer

notime wrote:

It would be nice to be proven wrong, but since Sony has been releasing the 20mp HX cameras, I don't seem them going down with the RX line.
Also, Sony is not really known for making fast zoom lenses (ie Sony only has a 300mm f/2.8 but Canon has a 400mm f/2.8. And then on the NEX side, there are no fast zoom lenses, unlike Oly and Panasonic m4/3..

A "zoom" lens has a variable focal length. The 300mm f2.8 and 400mm f2.8 are primes, they have one focal length, that's it. Kinda like the 35mm on the RX1.

And Sony does have several A mount fast zooms, 28-75 f2.8 and 70-200 f2.8 G full frame lenses, and the 16-50 f2.8 DT lens. Along with a 24-70 f2.8 Zeiss lens, however the responsibilities in that relationship work.  Whether or not this experience translates into the ability to make a small (rx100 size) fast zoom in the range rumored isn't really something I know a lot about. And it does seem odd that they haven't produced a fast zoom for the NEX, it's possible they can't figure out how to get something like a 16-50 f2.8 DT lens any smaller. The current RX100's aperture goes from f1.8 to much smaller pretty quick when you start zooming.

cplunk's gear list:cplunk's gear list
Sony RX100 Sony Alpha DSLR-A900 Sony Alpha DSLR-A330 Sony Alpha a99 Sony a6300 +19 more
Post (hide subjects) Posted by
(unknown member)
TFD
Arn
SDF
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow