RX200...too good to be true?

Started May 6, 2013 | Discussions thread
Michael Kaufman
Michael Kaufman Senior Member • Posts: 2,735
Not a chance in the world

Spade357 wrote:

Sony introduced the smallest APS-C camera with the NEX-5, the smallest FF camera with the RX-1 and the smallest 1" sensor camera with the RX100. You don't think they can come up with the RX200 with these features? If one company can do it, it'll be Sony. Like I said, most rumors now a days are true. I guess we will find out pretty soon.

You examples of Sony's accomplishments show why this isn't true. All of you examples are place that show where sony has reduced the size of the electronics to make very small bodies, but they haven't done much to reduce the size of the optics. Both the Nex-5 and the Rx1 are tiny bodies with close to standard sized lenses. For Sony to create a body the size of the Rx100 with a collapsable "28-140mm f/1.4-2.2 lens" would requires a breakthrough in electronics that surely would have made the press. The reason the RX100 goes so quickly to F4.9 is that a faster aperture would have made everything so much bigger.

Its too bad, because except for that obvious wishful-thinking giveaway, everything else could go into the realm of unlikely-but-possible. The though of a popup viewfinder would have had me drooling.

Michael Kaufman's gear list:Michael Kaufman's gear list
Fujifilm X100F Olympus PEN-F Olympus M.Zuiko Digital 17mm 1:1.8 Olympus 12-40mm F2.8 Olympus 40-150mm F2.8 Pro
Post (hide subjects) Posted by
(unknown member)
TFD
Arn
SDF
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow